Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Thoughts on Higher Things conference

Last week I attended Higher Things' Coram Deo conference.  This was my third conference and the first at which I presented a sectional.  A week has gone by since the opening Divine Service in Bloomington (and another conference is underway in Atlanta).  I've had some time to reflect on the conference and I offer up these thoughts.

I have three goals in bringing youth to these conferences: 1) Exposure to traditional Lutheran liturgy in all its richness and fullness; 2) More thorough catechesis that builds on the foundation of my confirmation classes; 3) The chance to meet and mingle with other Lutheran youth.  I think all three goals were met and exceeded last week.

This year's schedule was the best yet.  It kept the day full and active, but I didn't feel rushed to make it to everything.  There was ample free time, and college campus facilities provide a variety of things to do.

Speaking of free time, I realized this trip that it's not so much how awesome the free time activities are.  The youth have a good time when they have friends to do it with.  Whether they're friends from our church or friends met at the conference, sitting on a bench laughing and talking is loads more entertainment than if they scheduled skydiving or some other thrilling event.

Worship was, as always, outstanding.  I knew when the first hymn we sang was O God, O Lord of Heaven and Earth that we were in for a treat the whole week. 

The youth were a little surprised at the higher ceremony (bowing, crossing, processions).  But they didn't really need to be taught how to do them.  They followed along with the rest of the youth.  There was no need to say, "Let us stand;" when it was time to stand, everyone stood. 

Finally, I also recognized that the behavior of these youth was noticeably better than at other youth events I've been to.  That's not to say that kids won't still do stupid things.  Kids are kids.  But overall, there was a greater sense of politeness, generosity, kindness.  My parents were there for the first time with their youth and they noticed it.  My colleague at Emmanuel came down to visit and someone at the store remarked to him how pleasant the youth seemed to her. 

I don't think that this is unrelated to the fact that there is worship 4 times a day.  The conference began and ended with the Lord's body and blood.  There was preaching at two services a day.  We sang Psalms.  Lots of them.  If we truly believe that sanctification is worked in us through the means of grace (AC IV, V, VI), then this should come as no surprise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment